12.12.2006

Cover songs that are better than the original

I was listening to the I Am Sam soundtrack in the car today and I realized that Howie Day does a fantastic cover of the Beatles' "Help!". Now this greatly surprised me for two big reasons:

1) I've been somewhat averse to Howie Day ever since EVERY SINGLE TELEVISION SHOW decided to use his song "Collide" as moody emo theme music awhile back.

2) I kind of like his version of "Help!" better than the original.

Now, I know this is somewhat blasphemous, for this is the Beatles. And don't get me wrong, I love the original version. But Howie Day changes the song from being this frantic, fast paced song, to kind of an angsty, chill, emoish song.

So this brings me to my latest music question: what cover songs do you like better than the original versions?

My choices:

1. Rufus Wainwright, "Hallelujah"
I love Jeff Buckley's version, but there's something about Wainwright's voice that makes me love his cover of Leonard Cohen's classic even more. But it's pretty close. The piano in Wainwright's may have something to do with it. Although the guitar intro in Buckley's is genius musically.

2. Lauryn Hill, "Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You"
Old standard. She made it new by adding a wicked beatboxing track and messing with the rhythm. (Also love L-Boogie with The Fugees in "Killing Me Softly.")

3. Aretha Franklin, "Respect"
Otis Redding originally recorded it as a blues song. Aretha made it #1 internationally.

I'd normally just ask this during dissection, but we no longer have anatomy lab. Which is fantastic because this means I get to burn stuff at the bonfire on friday, but I had some rather interesting music discussions during fun time at the cadaver lab.

7 Comments:

At 12/12/2006 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TT...awesome post. I love stuff like this.

1) I just heard Alanis Morrisette's version of Seal's Crazy. This is an excellent remake. Better than the original? Close.

2) Orgy's Blue Monday beats the heck out of New Order's version. I love New Order...but the industrial beats of orgy really did it for me.

3) I really enjoy The Atari's version of Boys of Summer. Don Henley still does it best. I mention it because the remake is really good.

4) Duran Duran's Thank You is better than Led Zeppelin's. Blasphemous.

5) Billy Corgan/Robert Smith's version of the BeeGee's To Love Somebody is WAAAAYYYY better.

Now...versions that insult the originals:

1) No Doubt's attempt to cover Talk Talk's It's My Life

2) Reel Big Fish's degradation of a-ha's Take On Me

3) A Perfect Cirle's monstrosity of Depeche Mode's People are People

4) Michael Jackson screws a lot of things up...including the Beatles Come Together

5) Alien Ant Farm's remake of Michael Jackson's Smooth Criminal is sac religious.

 
At 12/13/2006 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, sneaky with the versions that insult the originals. My biggie:

Britney Spears, "Satisfaction"

How dare you ruin one of the best Rolling Stones songs?

As far as more great covers:

The Dixie Chicks, "Landslide"

I love the Dixie Chicks, especially their latest album. Also loved the documentary "Shut Up and Sing". Their cover of Stevie Nicks is amazing, and in my opinion better because of the instrumentals.

Johnny Cash, "Hurt"

The Man in Black covers Trent Reznor. Did I mention how cool the video is?

 
At 12/13/2006 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more:

Jenny Lewis, Conor Oberst, and Ben Gibbard covering the Traveling Wilburys' "Handle With Care" on Lewis' solo album.

Conor Oberst sings the Bob Dylan part (duh). Ben Gibbard does Roy Orbison (makes sense). Jenny Lewis sings the George Harrson lines (genius, pure genius).

I need to go finish PD homework now. All people who chose to do it in January are much smarter than I.

 
At 12/13/2006 3:48 PM, Blogger MegaColon said...

Nouvelle Vague: Melt with you. I love the Modern English version but her version is waaaay different. NV does a lot of covers including Dancing with Myself, Specials songs, ect. Also Shonan Knife is an asian group that covers the Carpenter's 'On top of the World.' It is awesome!

 
At 12/13/2006 3:55 PM, Blogger MegaColon said...

Gspott...While usually agree with you I disagree on Blue Monday! What is really Blasephemous is thinking Duran Duran can even touch Zeppelin. They are a bunch of sissies.

Frente's Bizzare love triangle is worth checking out. As well as Fiona's version of Across the Universe (not better than the beatles but still a great song)...Mr. Wainwright's version is one of my favorite songs too.

 
At 12/13/2006 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to hear Fiona's version of Across the Universe. I also love Wainwright's version.

The I Am Sam soundtrack is chock full of great covers. Like Sarah McLachlan's "Blackbird".

But one I'm surprised you didn't bring up MegaColon are the covers Siouxsie and the Banshees did of the Beatles ("Helter Skelter").

One more: Tegan and Sara do a cover of Prince's "When You Were Mine" during some of their live shows. Not better than the original, but pretty good.

 
At 12/13/2006 6:12 PM, Blogger roccyx said...

my boyfriend came up with this list.. yes he reads the blog.

Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" is better than the Bob Dylan version.

And I agree about "Hurt" by Johnny Cash.

The Lemonheads "Mrs. Robinson" sucks nuts

The Goops did a decent "Build Me up Buttercup"

Lagwagon did a meh "Brown eyed Girl"

Me first and the gimme gimmes rocked the hell outta some songs. Their version of "Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard" was SO much better than the original.

And the Bruisers "Lunatic" was freakin' orgasmic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home