11.29.2006

Holiday Tidbit


So I was riding the train today with Jeremy T, Justin, Christina, and Joe. They all got off and I was just sitting there alone finishing my ride. A man suddenly got up and went over to another man who he apparently knew. They were both seated behind me. I couldn't help but overhear that one man was just getting by on some money he made by donating plasma. He talked about how hard life was and how he couldn't get things together. He didn't have family close and was fighting through some DUI issues.

There was such anxiety and uncertainty in his voice.

It is a terrible cliche to focus on others' needs only once a year. The unique irony is that this apparent selflessness is wrapped in the gaudy wrapping of holiday spending and commerce. It is laughable that our culture can have an attack of conscience during a few measely weeks in December but largely disregard others' needs the rest of the year. There are obvious exceptions to this.

I don't have much holiday spirit anymore. When I was a child the magic of the month of December was overwhelming. I loved the chocolate-filled countdown calendars, the Christmas-related school art projects, and the chilly, snowy weather. I used to ask Dad where he thought Santa's sleigh was. Santa always seemed to get closest when they were ready to leave the Christmas Eve party.

Anyway, that magic is largely gone for me. I hope that my little daughter's developing fascination with the shiny gifts and glistening trees will ignite the Christmas flame for me once again. However, the most holiday spirit I feel presently is found in the quiet, subtle interactions with our fellow human beings. We all have needs and problems. I suppose a slight adjustment of my focus towards those around me is the refreshment that I need during this time of year.

Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and Sears can entice us with their merchandise. The hustle and bustle of the holiday season can proceed with all its vigor. The static traditions of this time of year can make their tiresome appearance once again. I suppose my small spark of holiday spirit is found somewhere else. A place that is quite the opposite of the gaudy, distorted, commercial version of Christmas that we endure each year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home