11.26.2006

Unusually Good Movie/Music Alerts

I figured I should start contributing some non-mass apology/sickness related whining posts, so I give you the following UGMAs (Unusually Good Movie/Music Alerts).

UGMA #1) Shiny Toys Guns are coming back to SLC with the Sounds

THE SOUNDS
w/ Shiny Toy Guns
Wednesday, November 29 @ 07:00PM
at Avalon Theater
$15.00 (plus $3.00 service fee) @ www.24tix.com

It looks like The Powers That Be are making up for their Shiny Toy Guns/Strokes/Jenny Lewis triple booking debacle from awhile ago that made me curse Salt Lake concert organizers for weeks.

For those who haven't heard Shiny Toy Guns, here's the link to their MySpace. Le Disko has to be one of my favorite singles of 2006. It's been stuck in my head since May.

UGMA #2) "Bobby" now in theaters

Emilio Estevez's giant ensemble drama about the assasination of Robert F. Kennedy opened in theaters on Thanksgiving. Although it was a tad uneven at times, the ending along is powerful enough to garner several Academy Award nominations come next year. Estevez does a great job balancing archival footage and the fictionalized stories of twenty-two bystanders. Standout performances include Martin Sheen, Freddie Rodriguez, and Lindsay Lohan. Now showing in SLC at Trolley Squares and Century 16.

After the assasinations of JFK and MLK, Jr., Robert Kennedy energized a war weary America to hope for progress. In the words of a fellow audience member after seeing the movie on Thanksgiving, what a loss...

"Our answer is the world's hope; it is to rely on youth. The cruelties and obstacles of this swiftly changing planet will not yield to obsolete dogmas and outworn slogans. It cannot be moved by those who cling to a present which is already dying, who prefer the illusion of security to the excitement of danger. It demands the qualities of youth: not a time of life but a state of mind, a temper of the will, a quality of the imagination, a predominance of courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of ease." - RFK, Cape Town

5 Comments:

At 11/26/2006 10:55 PM, Blogger Johnny Hammersticks said...

I'd just like to add that The Sounds show that I went to over the summer was among the most entertaining shows I've ever been to (and I've been to lots). They're a Swedish rocktronic band that is very up beat and a lot of fun to dance to. By the end of the show I had a major crush on the lead singer. If she'd have asked me to kill someone after the show I'd have thought about it just to curry favor w/ her. This chick was stage diving in a cocktail dress--that's pretty hard core/awesome. I'll be there for sure. The only down side is that it's at the Avalon--a terrible venue. I saw the New Amsterdams there a couple of months ago and a light caught fire and smoked up the whole joint. There was also an ungodly heat in that building. I swore I'd never see another show there. The Sounds are making me eat my words. Hope to see some of you there.

 
At 11/29/2006 12:06 AM, Blogger mr.hanky said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11/29/2006 12:10 AM, Blogger mr.hanky said...

Your youthful mom is my hope for the future (what?)

 
At 12/01/2006 9:17 PM, Blogger MegaColon said...

The sounds put on a great show!! TS, I agree with you about the lead singer. Especially when she started singing Tony and the Beat. Only Maja can make stage diving in 70's looking jogging shorts look that sexy...sigh..

 
At 12/04/2006 7:41 PM, Blogger Johnny Hammersticks said...

I was glad to see a good showing from the class of 2010. Wow Mega, dito--she is unbelievable. Last time she went super feminine, this time she went more hardcore rocker-chick and she pulled both off beautifully. I will say that I wasn't wild about her hair cut, but that's pretty trivial when you consider the whole package. It would only take the slightest encouragement from her for me to make a lot of bad decisions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home