10.23.2006

Spheres of Altruism


I'd treat him. I'd be in violation of the Hippocratic Oath if I didn't. That wasn't the focus of my comments. Plugging all this into medicine requires a higher altruism on the part of the physician and in the clinic I would be obliged to help this man any way I could. I would have to abandon any pretenses and seek the health of the individual. I have no qualms about operating in that neutral vacuum. But I would likely avoid him otherwise.

Medicine transcends all the politics of this issue. (Think of the Red Cross--they treat people on the battlefield and elsewhere that they don't support or particularly agree with--and have done so for years.) If this man showed up in the ER or in my clinic I would not hesitate to offer him the best care I could...

I guess the distillation of what I think is that I don't think a known Nazi prison guard (a true member of the infamous Waffen-SS) hiding his identity and "hiding behind a panel under the basement stairs at his family's home" deserves much more than deportation. Of course I am not a judge, but I don't have to be a judge to have a very strong opinion of this man and his past. I support the decision that the judges (those who really have the authority to deport this man) have made.

I suppose his choice to participate in barbaric genocide compromised his own humanity to some extent. I think most people would describe people like Johann as "monsters," a term devoid of humanity. I mean, how much innocent life do you have to snuff out before your own life is subject to drastic, irreversible consequences?

All criminals maintain their humanity. It doesn't change the fact that they should answer for what they have done. I do NOT believe that a man like Mr. Leprich should enjoy the freedoms of a nation that: 1) he fought against in the World War, 2) affords its citizens the rights that he was taking from the Jews, 3) "hold[s] these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." I think Johann was under the impression that all men and women were created equal, unless of course they weren't Aryan.

There are consequences to choices made in life. In medicine, we don't concern ourselves with them. We gladly treat the masses--the rapists, DUI-ers, murderers, and robbers alike. Yet as a citizen of this nation I think deportation of a man obviously hiding from his dark, sinister past is entirely appropriate. I think the fact that Romania, Hungary and Germany also refused to accept him sends a strong message about the world's tolerance, even still, for what happened in Germany in the 1940's.

8 Comments:

At 10/24/2006 4:32 PM, Blogger mr.hanky said...

So, I read this, all of it:) I didn't mean to make a face, I was probably just feeling like I didn't need any more negativity at the late hour I first saw it. I'm curious about your interest in the holocaust. Personally, I'm more intrigued by dissecting current issues like genocide in Africa and the power struggles in the Middle East, etc. Why continue to study the holocaust now?

 
At 10/24/2006 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will continue to learn and try understand and to hope that it will never happen again. ... These people went through a period of time when they thought there was no hope for life. As we learn about this horror, there is one thing that I read that
we should all remember, "Only guard yourself and guard your soul carefully; lest you forget the things your eyes saw, and lest these things depart your heart all the days of your life. And you shall make them known to your children, and to your children's children," Deuteronomy 4:9

2000 Holocaust Remembrance Project
The Holocaust:
How Victims Today Survive with their Memories
By Shanon Brandt
Port Orange, Florida

 
At 10/24/2006 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There will only be no need to study the Holocaust when we have eradicated genocide from the earth. That will likely never happen...so we should never stop trying to understand and learn from the horrors of the Holocaust.

I firmly believe that (especially in light of our medical endeavors) associating ourselves with these horrific depths that humanity can sink to will only propel us upward in 1) our respect for the Jewish community and others affected by this event and 2) our quest for improving human health and relieving human suffering.

 
At 10/24/2006 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for reading that Liz. I was only teasing you in the Histo lab earlier :) I mean, I was so bored with hematopoesis...it was all I could do...

 
At 10/24/2006 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent comment Teresa. Thanks.

 
At 10/24/2006 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should stop posting.

 
At 10/24/2006 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK I will.

 
At 10/24/2006 11:07 PM, Blogger mr.hanky said...

I only wanted to understand the emphasis for studying the holocaust at this particular time (if it had deeper meaning to you, etc.) I believe one of the most important words and struggles in life is that of remembering. I agree that we should study history not only in isolation, but in the context of present day situations. Thank you for explaining your reasons; I wanted to understand your vantage :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home