10.05.2006

Pewbis Poll


You are banished to a desert island and can only have one album to take with you. Which one would it be and why? (No greatest hits albums)

As for me, I would have to take Tears for Fears' Elemental. I think Roland Orzabal has the best voice in rock music. His vocal clarity and depth are unmatched. His lyrics are quirky and unconventional. His music is one-of-a-kind.

"Break it down again" is one of the best rock songs ever written. I had never heard rhythmic ideas like these before. The harmony is wonderful. And what other song do you know that talks about "Moses on a motorbike?"

"Fish out of water" is another favorite. I get the feeling it is aimed at a pompous record exec. "Brian Wilson said" is obviously about the Beach Boys' frontman. The spacey, etherial guitar solo towards the end is a highlight. "Goodnight song" seems to be written about a concert mishap.

"Dog's a best friend's dog?" What kind of title is that? But, "this bitch could do some harm, baby!"

The title track, "Elemental" has one of the coolest beginnings.

I LOVE TEARS FOR FEARS! Heidi has seen them live TWICE and I haven't. I resent her for it. But Heidi is still my friend.

Anyway, let us all know what album you would choose and why. I am always looking to broaden my musical horizons.

I am having such a hard time focusing on my studies tonight!!!!! AAAAARRRRRRGH!

3 Comments:

At 10/06/2006 1:59 PM, Blogger MegaColon said...

That is really tough: Probably some best of Billie Holiday album (the one with 3 CDs spanning the decades). Not really because of her vocal skills, since her range was limited, but mosly due to her emotional appeal. The women's voice bleeds suffering. Even happy songs are sad. It may make my situation of being stranded seem not so bad. Also, she sings so many familiar songs that many other artists have shared, it would be a nice variety. Or....a best of talking heads album. David Bryne has such a lovely voice.

 
At 10/07/2006 9:49 PM, Blogger Hyperhidrosis said...

Geez Pewbs,

I've been letting this one stew in my brain, and I still haven't quite figured out my answer. It's a fairly complex scenario...

If I'm stuck on a desert island, what type of album WOULD I want with me? Would I want an album that would bring me a sense of serenity to better accept my solitude, something that would energize me to build a hut and hunt a beast for din-din? Maybe I'd want something really shitty, like Rob Thomas, that would provoke me to swim off the island and meet my fate. (I'd rather be eaten by sharks than listen to Rob Thomas.)

But, I think I've decided that I would want to take a musical storyteller with me. Nick Cave is one of my very, very favorites. Mr. Cave deserves his own post, so I will plan to elaborate on his genius in an original post later. Here, I'll simply say that I'd take a Nick Cave album (I haven't decided which one quite yet) because Cave is pure genius.

Here's an example of his lyrics:

"... And in my best shoes I started falling forward down the street/ I stopped at a church and jostled through the crowd/ And love followed just behind me, panting at my feet/ As the steeple tore the stomach from a lonely little cloud."

I love him.

H.

 
At 10/09/2006 11:38 PM, Blogger MegaColon said...

I have a great blog about the mind-numbing shittiness of rob thomas...to be continued...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home