10.04.2006

Restroom Reflections


It is not currently socially acceptable for a man to be in a the women's bathroom/locker room. The women, likewise, is not welcome in the men's room.

A simplified reason for this may be because the women's body is different than the man's. It is likely argued that they are not welcome because the woman's body is the object of sexual fixation for many men. The man is not welcome in the restrooms or locker rooms to prevent any...awkward situations. Any old guy may stare (in varying amounts) at the disrobed body of a woman. It doesn't mean he is a pervert. Instinct. Advertising thrives on the exposed human body. Frankly, it just catches our eye. A woman with a beer held close to her cleavage is a successful ad. Likewise, a woman disrobing on the side of the road would stop traffic. Obviously, some stare longer than others.

Separate restrooms/locker rooms attempt to remedy the socially unacceptable situation of a person being viewed by another in a sexual way without that person reciprocating.

Many women would likely stare (in varying amounts) at a man's naked body if they shared a locker room. While they are not identical to their male counterparts, the same general arguments could apply.

Homosexuals also may stare (in varying amounts) at the bodies of disrobed individuals in their view...just like their heterosexual counterparts. It doesn't mean they are necessarily perverts either. Instinct. The difference would be that they may be actually sharing a restroom and locker room with the gender that they are sexually attracted too.

10 Comments:

At 10/04/2006 10:38 PM, Blogger Armchair-Revolutionary said...

Many college dorms have coed bathrooms.

 
At 10/04/2006 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.tgcrossroads.org/news/archive.asp?aid=430

It seems colleges have been doing that in the dorms for a long time. I was wondering what the dilemma must be like for transexuals...in the public sphere (i.e. movie theaters, stadiums etc. etc.)

 
At 10/05/2006 1:07 AM, Blogger jujuklutz said...

i'm going to the utah gay men's health summit this weekend. i'll see if there are any breakout sessions regarding the topic of LGBT individuals in exclusive situations. i'll keep you posted.

 
At 10/05/2006 1:30 AM, Blogger jujuklutz said...

i love blogging... it's great to hear everyone's opinions about different topics... but at the same time, it's soooo bad... i should have been studying, but i've been sitting here reading all the previous posts... yikes.. it's almost 1:30 in the morning! aaaah!!

 
At 10/05/2006 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Juju...you have been bloggified...

 
At 10/05/2006 12:02 PM, Blogger Hyperhidrosis said...

Senor Sertoli,

What's your inspiration for this post on co-ed bathroom/locker rooms? Is it because of the anatomy locker hallway turned free-for-all changeroom? I like to refer to it as G Central. There was apparently some spontaneous moment when people decided it was cool to strip in the hallway. Is it cool with me? Sure. No worries. But I must admit, the first time I was fishing scrubs out of my locker and turned around to get an eyefull of men in their g-unit underwear, I was rather taken aback. I guess we're comfortable with each other now, I thought. Maybe it's because we've been staring at strange cadaver genitals for over a month now. Live genitals don't seem as offensive now. Is that the idea?
Will I strip in there? No. No, thanks. I won't be flashing my V Secrets anytime soon. But strangely, yesterday I caught myself taking off my jeans. I was completely on autopilot, apparently getting messages on some odd strip frequency just by being in the vicinity of disrobing classmates. I caught myself undoing my belt and jerked back into consciousness. Why am I getting naked??!! I asked myself. I wear my scrubs OVER my jeans. Did you see my underwear Sertoli? Huh?! Did you?!! It won't happen again... NEVER!!!

 
At 10/05/2006 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not really, it wasn't necessarily that. But you are right, the G-Unit brigade is embarrassing. Now if the dude was wearing a red thong or something...then he'd have something to show off.

 
At 10/05/2006 4:37 PM, Blogger MegaColon said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10/05/2006 4:38 PM, Blogger MegaColon said...

I go into the boys bathroom when I need to. I do what I want damn it!

 
At 10/05/2006 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm the one with the bulging bulbous spongiosum if we ever happened to meet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home